I have a growth in my mouth


I have what appears to be a skin tag in the back of my mouth.  My general physician has monitored and it has not grown in size, and is fleshy in substance.  I would feel much better seeing a specialist, but not sure which specialist to see.



Any unusual growth in the mouth should be evaluated.   Sometimes your doctor can tell by just looking at it, but sometimes the growth may have to be biopsied or even removed to make sure it is not a cancer or pre-cancerous lesion.  Today, there is a a new understanding about oral papillomas, which are basically warts, in the oral cavity.  These may look like skin tags, but can be precancerous and should be removed.  Obviously, anything that has not grown is less likely to be worrisome, but that is not always the case.

Specialists in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (ENT) are the specialists one would usually see for this- although one may also see dentists with a subspecialty in oral surgery.

I hope this clears things up.

Robert Pincus MD

NY Sinus Center

NY Otolaryngology Group